Sunday, June 22, 2014

Saving Amelie by Cathy Gohlke


I am a fan of historical novels written against the backdrop of WWII. Saving Amelie by Cathy Gohlke brings the world, as it was during that time, alive for the reader. She makes the reader feel as if they were there witnessing all the atrocities that were going on.

Ms. Gohlke has created believable characters and dropped them into a period of time where horrific things happened at the hand of Hitler's Third Reich in Germany. She did submit some historical characters into her story lending a feeling of authenticity to her novel.

Hitler wanted a pur Aryan race for his Germany and if a person or child didn't show the possiblity of being part of his perfect race he had them eliminated.

Amelie is a young girl who is deaf. Her father is a German officer who can't handle the fact Amelie is less than perfect and want to get rid of her. Amelie's mother, Kristine, wants to save her daughter even if it means she will never see her again. She asks her best friend, Rachel, to take charge of Amelie and asks that she take her out of Germany.

I loved the character of Jason, an American reporter, because he didn't give up on Rachel. I enjoyed how their relationship grew during this time.

There is so much packed into the 429 pages of this book. The reader is given a glimpse of how awful life was for the the people in Germany who didn't measure up to Hitler's plan for the perfect race.

I would highly recommend this historical novel to anyone who enjoys reading historical fiction. the characters appear to be real and will invite the reader to step into their world. Be prepared for a page turner that will keep you intrigued to the very last page.

On a 5-Star Scale = 5 Stars!!!!!

I would like to thank Tyndale House Publishers for my copy of Saving Amelie. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,






No comments:

Post a Comment