Saturday, March 14, 2015

A Harvest of Hope by Lauranine Snelling

When I first opened up my copy of A Harvest of Hope I was briefly overwhelmed when I saw the Bjorklund Family Tree. If I counted correctly there are four generations and 56 names on that tree. But I soon found myself referring back to it so I could keep everyone straight.

The setting for A Harvest of Hope is Blessing, North Dakota in the year 1905. It is the story of Miriam Hastings and Trygve Knutson. While the city is a fictional city, the characters bring it alive to the reader. 

Blessing was a Norwegian settlement and Trygve's parents, aunt and uncle came from Norway to farm the land in Blessing. Fast forward to the early 1900's and immigrants are still coming to Blessing and living in a tent city until houses can be completed. Some of the towns people embrace the immigrants whild others wish they would leave.

Miriam came to Blessing to train as a nurse at the Blessing Hospital. When her mother becomes gravely ill, she is called back home to Chicago. There she is torn between staying with her family or going back to be near Trygve in Blessing. Trygve is waiting for Miriam to return as he loves her and wants to marry her. Miriam does return to fulfill her one year nursing commitment but she tries to not to encourage Trygve as she knows she must return to Chicago. The question is, will she or won't she stay in Blessing?

If I had anything negative to say about this book it would be the fact that is is the second book in Ms. Snelling's "Song of Blessing" series and I haven't read book one, To Everything a Season yet. I felt a little in the dark at times but I still enjoyed the journey Ms. Snelling took me on.

Ms. Snelling has created a town of well developed characters who are filled with faith in God and love for family and friends. She has allowed her characters to roam through the town of Blessing intertwining their lives to form this wonderful story.

On a 5-Star scale - 4 Stars!!!!

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction with a Chrisitian thread. However, I would suggest you read book one first.

I would like to thank Bethany House for my review copy. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.


Smiles & Blessings,
  

No comments:

Post a Comment