Friday, November 14, 2014

Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman & Sarah Sundin

I truly love reading stories set during WWII, especially if they are written by Sarah Sundin, Cara Putman or Tricia Goyer. These wonderful writers of historical romance have joined together to write three wonderful stories tied together by family and love.

I really enjoyed the way the book was set up and that the titles are all song titles. The Prologue is titled, "Winter Wonderland" and was written by Sarah Sundin. The first story is "White Christmas" by Cara Putman, followed by "I'll Be Home for Christmas" by Sarah Sundin and then "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Tricia Goyer. The Epilogue is titled "Let it Snow, Let it Snow" by Cara Putman.

Where Treetops Glisten yields three stories surrounding the Turner family of Lafayette, Indiana. Let's start with Cara Putman's "White Christmas". This was the story of Abigail Turner and Jackson Lucas. Abigail is a student at Purdue and works a part-time job at Glatz Candy. When she encounters Jackson she feels he needs a friend and finds herself trying to help him with a family issue. This particular story had a little mystery to it and was a story set in the homefront in the early days of the war.

The second story, "I'll Be Home for Christmas" is the story of Pete Turner, Grace Kessler and her precocious daughter, Linnie. Pete is a Lieutenant and pilot in the Army Air Corps and is home on leave when he encounters Linnie. This story was my favorite of the three mainly because I absolutely fell in love with Linnie. Sarah Sundin created her so well that she stepped off the page, took my hand and invited me into her world. This story was absolutely charming and was also set on the homefront.

The third story, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is the only story that was actually set on the war front. It is the story of the youngest Turner daughter, Meredith, or Merry, as her family and friends call her. She is a combat nurse stationed near the front lines in the Netherlands when her story begins. She had been in love while she was going to nursing school and found herself betrayed by a young man she thought she would spend the rest of her life with but one day he disappeared leaving signs behind that he wasn't who she thought he was. 

All three authors have similar voices and at times I had to check to see who had written the portion I was reading. In my opinion, they are all excellent authors and I always look forward to their newest books and I keep their books on my 'keeper' shelf.

The characters in Where Treetops Glisten seem so real and the settings make you feel right at home. I will say that Cara Putman tied all three stories up quite nicely in the Epilogue and I must admit, as I finished the last few words I let out a big sigh. I hated to see the book end.

I would highly recommend When Treetops Glisten to anyone who enjoys reading historical fiction set during WWII and books set during Christmas. To be honest, I believe if you love good fiction in any genre you'll love this book.

On a 5 - Star Scale - 15 HUGE Stars!!!!!  Yes, I said 15, after all there are three authors and I'm giving 5 Stars to each of them. 

I would like to thank Litfuse Publicity and WaterBrook Press for my review copy of When Treetops Glisten. I received my copy for free in order to read and give my honest review, which I have done.


Smiles & Blessings,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment