Sunday, November 2, 2014

Playing by Heart by Anne Mateer

Reading Playing by Heart by Anne Mateer was my first experience with this author. While I enjoyed this book, I'm not sure I really enjoyed the 'first person' telling of the story. Each chapter has a header of who's mind we are in throughout that chapter. I have read some books before written in first person but the author left it to the reader to know whose head we were in and I prefer that form of first person writing.

With all that said, the story in Playing by Heart was well told. It is the story of Lula Bowman, a mathematics teacher and student working towards her PhD and Chet Vaughn, a teacher and basketball coach.  Lula's sister loses her husband and she is called back to her Oklahoma home town to help her sister get through this rough time. Lula's other siblings believe Lula should give up her dream of obtaining her PhD in order to help their sister Jewel. All her siblings appeared to be very selfish and self-absorbed. Chet Vaughn lived in Lula's hometown and while he would have loved to gone to war like his brother, he stayed behind to tend to his mother.

The characters were well developed and the reader is drawn into their world easily. Lula's character was based on both of Ms. Mateer's grandmothers, which I found quite interesting.

In my opinion, the love story between Lula and Chet took a little longer than I would have liked but the important thing is it did happen eventually. 

There are some plot twists in this story that were unexpected but added to the story quite nicely.

While it wasn't one of my favorite books, I would recommend Playing by Heart to anyone who enjoys reading Christian historical romance novels.

On a 5-Star Scale - 4 Stars.

I would like to thank Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group, for my copy of Playing by Heart. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment