Saturday, October 8, 2016

The First Gift by Ruth Logan Herne

Oh. My. Stars! Ruth Logan Herne has written another book that captured me from the first page and held me until the last page. I shed quite a few tears along the way but it was an excellent read!

BLURB FROM BACK OF BOOK:

FIVE-YEAR-OLD CASSIE CARRUTHERS fends for herself while her father drinks himself into a stupor. But her isolation has not gone unnoticed as a northern Appalachian community works to rescue the neglected little girl. Kerry McHenry, the kindergarten teacher, sees her own tough upbringing in Cassie's dire situation. As she throws herself into helping Cassie become everything God wants her to be, she finds herself torn between a commitment-phobic doctor and a widowed deputy sheriff still angry with God. As the stakes grow ever higher and the characters' lives intersect in unexpected ways, each will face a true test of faith--and come face-to-face with indisputable evidence of God's love.

MY THOUGHTS:

The First Gift is a book that will settle in and stay awhile even after you turn that last page. In fact, the book has haunted my thoughts ever since I finished it and I mean that in the nicest of ways. Why? The subject matter makes me want to step in and help children like Kerry McHenry did in the life of little five-year-old Cassie. These two characters were so very real to me. I can imagine there are situations in the Appalachian community very much like the one in this wonderful book.

Kerry McHenry is a kindergarten teacher who takes her job seriously. When she meets Cassie Carruthers for the first time she is reminded of her own rough childhood and her heart breaks for this little girl. She wants to help Cassie in every way possible, however, there are laws that keep her from extracting the child from the run-down and dirty home she lives in with her drunken father. 

The two male characters in the book, Dr. Ryan O'Donnell and Deputy Jake Slattery were as different as night and day.  I disliked the doctor right away but then grew to like him a little as the story progressed. The deputy however had me at hello. His charm and wit won me over and I was rooting for him. Kerry had a difficult decision to make. The doctor or the deputy? I wish I could share her decision but that would spoil it for you. You'll just have to pick up a copy of The First Gift and find out if she chooses either one.

I truly appreciate that Ruth Logan Herne took on this subject matter and presented a story so well written that you almost feel like this is a true story. I guess it probably is as close to a true story as it can be. I would highly recommend this picking up a copy of this wonderful book.

On a 5-Star Scale - 5 HUGE Stars!!!!!

I would like to thank the author for my copy of The First Gift. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.


Smiles & Blessings,


1 comment:

  1. Cindy!!!! I'm so glad you loved this sweet story, and thank you so much for spreading the word. Word of mouth is every author's best friend, and this means so much to me... and didn't you just love Cassie to pieces??? And Kerry is a sweetheart... and Hannah Wilder, the landlady? I LOVE HANNAH!!!!! She's such a great character, I smile just thinking about her. :) Thank you, Cindy!!!!

    ReplyDelete