Sunday, August 14, 2016

A Heart Most Certain by Melissa Jagears

To say that I loved Melissa Jagears newest book, A Heart Most Certain, is an understatement. I treasured this book. Ms. Jagears is a gifted author and in my opinion, this is her best book yet. It is the first book in her "Teaville Moral Society" and the start of what I am sure will be an excellent series.

Blurb from the back

Lydia King knows what its like to be in need, so she joins the Teaville Moral Society hoping to help the town's poor. But with her father's debts increasing by the day and her mother growing sicker by the week, she wonders how long it will be util she ends up in the poorhouse herself. Her best chance at a financially secure future is to impress the politician courting her, and it certainly doesn't hurt that his mother is the moral society's president. Lydia's first task as a moral society member--to obtain a donation from Nicholas Lowe, the wealthiest man in town--seems easy...until the man flat-out refuses.

Despite appearances, Nicholas wants to help others but prefers to do it his own way, keeping his charity private. When Lydia proves persistent, they agree to a bargain, though Nicholas has a few surprises up his sleeve. Neither foresees the harrowing complications that will arise from working together, and when town secrets are brought to light, this unlikely pair must decide where their beliefs--and hearts--truly align.

My Thoughts:

As mentioned above, I loved this book. It is a story about redemption and trust. It's a story that is filled with prostitution, dirty politicians, a church filled with hypocrites and people turning blind eyes to sin for their own benefit. Now all those things in themselves doesn't necessarily make for a good Christian book, however, Ms. Jagears has taken the sins of Teaville and allowed her two lead characters to pull back the ugliness of sin and let God's light shine in leading many of the sinful characters out of their sin.

The character of Lydia King was well crafted and earned my admiration from the first page. While she has people pushing her towards their way of thinking, Lydia fights back trying to do what she believes is right. Every time she encounters Nicholas Lowe, sparks fly. Early on she finds him exasperating and he finds her feisty. In time will those sparks lead to something else? Only time and you picking up a copy of this wonderful book will tell. I will say that this story showed how two people from different worlds can come together in unity working towards the same purpose and be successful with God's help.

It saddened me to read some other reviews in which they claim the book is too "preachy". It is a story about sinful people that need to find redemption. How will the people of this world find redemption if Christians do not share the gospel of Jesus Christ. I believe Ms. Jagears wasn't preachy, she simply told a story showing that sinners can have hope to move beyond their situations. 

I would highly recommend A Heart Most Certain to any adults who enjoy a good Christian novel. Do to subject matter I wouldn't advise it for younger people.

On a 5-Star scale - 5 Huge Stars!!!!! The best historical I have read this year!

I would like to thank the author, Melissa Jagears, and Bethany House for my copy of A Heart Most Certain. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review.

Smiles & Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment