Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina Jennings

I always like to read books by authors I have never read before. Sometimes I am extremely happy with my choice, other times I'm not so happy. I can honestly say that from the first page to the last, I was extremely happy with my choice to read Regina Jennings' book A Most Inconvenient Marriage.

The book begins in the last few months of the Civil War, in St. Louis, Missouri. Abigail Stuart is a nurse at the Gratiot Street Prison where she tends to Confederate prisoners of war. Her family has turned her out and the only place she has is the prison, at least until they transfer the prisoners out and close down the prison. As the story begins, she is tending to a man who calls himself Captain Jeremiah Calhoun. He has lost an arm in the war and has developed gangrene. Knowing he will be dead soon, he proposes to Abigail offering her a marriage of convenience which includes his farm, livestock and horses, providing she will look after his ailing sister, Rachel, and his mother. Abigail agrees and after a quick wedding, Jeremiah dies and she leaves for the Ozarks to begin her new life on Jeremiah's farm.

Her new life isn't going to be as easy as she thought as she has to confront Laurel, Jeremiah's former fiancee, Rachel, his temperamental sister, and his family and friends who all feel Abigail is telling a tall tale about marrying Jeremiah. But the biggest confrontation is when the real Jeremiah Calhoun shows up quite alive. Will Abigail pack her bags and leave? Will the real Jeremiah fall in love with Abigail? Will Abigail fall in love with him? Or will Laurel capture Jeremiah's heart all over again. These answers can all be found inside the covers of this wonderful book, A Most Inconvenient Marriage.

Ms. Jennings has created strong believable characters in Abigail and Jeremiah and the tension between these characters is quite palpable. There are a lot of moments that tickle the funny bone in this book as well. I would highly recommend A Most Inconvenient Marriage to anyone who enjoys reading a good clean historical novel.

On a 5-Star scale - 4 1/2 stars!!!!

I would like to thank Bethany House for my copy of A Most Inconvenient Marriage. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,
  .

No comments:

Post a Comment