Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Quaker and the Rebel by Mary Ellis

I love books that are set against the backdrop of the Civil War. In the first book of her series, "Civil War Heroines", Mary Ellis takes us on journey involving Emily Harrison, a young Quaker woman who attempts to continue her parents work in the Underground Railroad.

Moving from Ohio, after the family farm is foreclosed on, Emily takes  a job as a governess for a doctor's family in Virginia.  While her employer has freed slaves working for him for pay, he also owns some slaves. She soon decides she has to continue her parents work.

Emily soon meets her employer's handsome nephew, Alexander Hunt. But Alexander isn't the spoiled rich boy that he appears to be. In fact, has a secret identity. He is a man who is fearless and while not actually fighting the war as a soldier he fights his battles by stealing supplies from the Union troops and passes them on for the Rebel cause.

Emily and Alexander are on opposite sides of War Between the States and it makes the reader wonder how they can ever come together against such odds. They both suffer with their pride and prejudices but they both agree on one very strong point, slavery is wrong. But they don't agree on how to abolish it.

I had a little difficulty getting into this book. Mostly because I really found myself not liking Emily that much and Alexander seemed to much of a Zorro time character for me. But as I moved forward into the book the pace picked up and I found I was drawn into the story a little more.

I would recommend this story to people who enjoy reading stories set during the Civil War period.

On a 5-Star Scale - 3.5 Stars.

I would like to thank Harvest House Publishers for my review copy of The Quaker and the Rebel. I received my copy for free in order to read and give my honest review which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,


No comments:

Post a Comment