Friday, March 14, 2014

It Had to Be You by Susan May Warren - a review

I have to admit that while I have always heard wonderful things about Susan May Warren's work I had never read any of her books. So when I was given the opportunity to read and review It Had to Be You I jumped at the chance. Let me tell you, it was a wise choice and now I am a fan.

It Had to Be You is the second book in Ms. Warren's Christiansen Family series and while I believe it reads well as a stand alone, I plan on going back to read the first book in the series, Take a Chance on Me. Also, at the end of It Had to Be You they have included the prequel novella, I Really Do Miss Your Smile.

I am a huge hockey fan and I loved the fact that It Had to Be You centered around the world of hockey in the NHL. The male lead, Jace Jacobsen is a star hockey player and Eden Christiansen, the female lead has a younger brother who is a rising star in the NHL. Eden has always put her life on hold while making sure her brother Owen made his dream of playing in the NHL a reality. However, Eden tends to hover over Owen making sure he keeps out of trouble. She isn't a fan of Owen's team captain, Jace Jacobsen, as he is known as the team's "bad boy" enforcer. She believes Jace is nothing but trouble and is out to get whatever he wants no matter what it may cost others. When Owen suffers a possibly career ending injury, Jace and Eden team up and go to Eden's family's home to try to cheer Owen up. What they encounter there is, well, I don't give out spoilers so you will need to read the book to find out what happens there.

Eden dreams of becoming a true reporter but finds herself relegated to the role of Obits writer at her local newspaper. She feels if she can just get that one story she'll be moved up to reporter. While visiting her brother in the hospital she comes across a young comatose patient known only as John Doe. She decides to try to find out who he is so she can find his family and write her job winning story. 

There were several story lines woven within the covers of this book and I found each of them pulling me into the story and holding me there until I finished the last page. 

Ms. Warren captured the world of hockey very well and she created well balanced, believable characters that won over my heart from the moment I met them on the written page.

I would highly recommend picking up a copy of It Had to Be You. The Christian thread was beautifully woven throughout and I guarantee you will find a wonderful story that shows the reader that we shouldn't judge others as they may not really be who or what they appear to be.

On a 5-Star Scale = 5 HUGE stars!!!!!

I would like to thank Litfuse Publishing and Tyndale House Publishers for my review copy of It Had to Be You. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,




No comments:

Post a Comment