Monday, September 2, 2013

On Distant Shores by Sarah Sundin - My Review

From the moment I read the last sentence of With Every Letter, Sarah Sundin's first book in her "Wings of the NightingaIe" series (see my review here) I have been waiting patiently, okay, if the truth be known, impatiently, for Ms. Sundin's newest book, On Distant Shores, the second in the "Wings of the Nightingale" series.  Let me tell you, I was not disappointed.  Ms. Sundin worked her magic once again and presented her readers another masterpiece of romantic Christian fiction set during WWII.  The series follows the lives of Flight Evacuation Nurses on the European war front.

While, On Distant Shores can be read as a stand alone book, I'm glad I read the first book in the series first as I was introduced to Lieutenant Georgiana Taylor and Sargeant John "Hutch" Hutchinson in book one and I fell in love with Georgiana's character. Lt. Georgie Taylor is from the south and volunteered to be a flight evacuation nurse because her best friend Rose wanted to volunteer.  Georgie soon feels she not quite good enough to do the job.  She knows her fiance, Ward, and her family all want her to give it up and come home.  When tragedy strikes she begins to feel that maybe she should give up, but all during her time in Sicily and Italy she has befriended Sgt. John Hutchinson, Hutch to his friends.  Hutch believes that Georgie is strong enough to do the job when no one else believes she can.  She and her fellow nurses are rotated home for additional training where Georgie meets opposition from Ward and her family.  They insist she quits the volunteer program.  But Georgie finds that she can do the job and her group of nurses are rotated back overseas where Georgie faces her worst nightmare..."ditching" (you'll have to read the book to discover what it is).  Will she succeed in being strong and doing her job or will she fall apart once again?  Will she and Hutch find a way to be together or will oppositions be too strong to overcome?  Ms. Sundin built this story so masterfully that when you turn that very last page, you will let out a sigh and days later you will start wondering, "I wonder what Georgie, Hutch and the rest of the group are doing?"  Serious, the characters are that real. 
I am now sitting, waiting as patiently as I can, for In Perfect Time, book three in the "Wings of Nightingale" series.  It is scheduled to release in August 2014.  Wow, that's over a year to wait but believe me Ms. Sundin's books are worth waiting for.

I would highly recommend On Distant Shores to anyone who enjoys good clean historical fiction.

On a 5-star scale - 5 HUGE stars!!!!!

I would like to thank Litfuse Publicity and Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group for my review copy.  I received my copy for free in order to read and give my honest review, which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,







1 comment:

  1. Cindy - thank you so much for the lovely review! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed Hutch & Georgie's story.

    ReplyDelete