Saturday, February 14, 2015

Remember the Lilies by Liz Tolsma

Liz Tolsma has quickly became one of my favorite authors. First with her debut novel, Snow on the Tulips (read my review here) followed by her second book Daisies are Forever (read my review here). I could hardly wait for her newest book, Remember the Lilies. I loved each and every book, but I must admit Remember the Lilies is hands down my favorite.

Remember the Lilies is set in the Philippines during World War II. The Prologue begins the day after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and the reader is introduced to the male lead, Rand Sterling a wealthy, womanizing American who owns two clubs in Manila and Irene Reynolds, a missionary. Their meeting was memorable for both of them even if it was close to being tragic. 

By Chapter One, both characters are being held prisoners in the Santo Tomas Internment camp in Manila. The story takes them through the war until the time Santo Tomas is liberated. The story that takes place is based on fact and I must say that Ms. Tolsma definitely did her homework regarding the camp. After I read the book, I searched on line to learn more about Santo Tomas and the pictures I found were exactly how Ms. Tolsma painted the camp. Her words made it real.

I fell in love with Rand, Irene and Irene's Aunt Anita. They were without a doubt the most well crafted characters I have encountered in my reading experience in a long time. They are believable, charming and memorable. Well done, Ms. Tolsma!

This isn't just a love story set during WWII, it's a story of two lost souls who found each other and learned to trust and forgive while trying to survive the atrocities of war. There are some twists and turns and a bit of a mystery within the pages of this wonderful book too.

The Christian thread was woven delicately through the pages and on page 343 Rand explains forgiveness to Irene and how if God could forgive him, he should be able to forgive the Japanese. It was an extremely powerful moment.

I would highly recommend Remember the Lilies to anyone who love reading a good historical novel. 

On a 5-Star scale - 5 HUGE Stars!!!!!

I would like to thank Litfuse Publicity Group and Thomas Nelson Publishers for my copy of Remember the Lilies. I was given my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,
  

No comments:

Post a Comment