Sunday, December 22, 2013

NIV Ragamuffin Bible - with Reflections by Brennan Manning

When given the opportunity to receive and review the NIV Ragamuffin Bible I jumped at the chance.  I love having different translations of the Bible and if they come with devotionals included within the pages all the better.

The Ragamuffin Bible has reflections by Brennan Manning scattered throughout as devotionals.  This particular Bible has the devotionals, or meditations, geared toward the bedraggled, beat-up and brokenhearted. I must admit, some of the devotionals were really quite sad. The one found in James, entitled The Good We Ought to Do, was about a person who witnessed a man being so totally cruel and inhumane to a young pregnant woman by pouring beer over her head and down her blouse while being very graphic with his talk of what he had done to her and was going to do to her later.  I did not find this type of 'devotional' pleasing within the covers of a Bible. I know the point was about what the person who was observing did to try to rescue the woman and to back up James 4:17, "If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them", but I found it a little offensive inside the covers of a Bible.  I believe it would serve a better person in a Bible study.

I really don't find that I can recommend this Bible except to the bedraggled, beat-up and brokenhearted.

On a 5 Star scale - NIV Bible - 5 Stars; The devoitionals - 3 Stars.

I would like to thank Rick Roberson of B & B Media Group for my review copy. I received my copy for free to read and give my honest review, which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,







No comments:

Post a Comment