Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Stress Test by Richard L. Mabry, M.D. - a review

What would you do if your everyday life was disrupted by you being accused of crimes you didn't commit.  Well that is the basis of Dr. Mabry's newest novel, Stress Test.  This is his first novel with Thomas Nelson publishers and I'm sure it won't be his last.

Dr. Matt Newman, a general surgeon, has decided to give up surgery in order to teach.  Unfortunately his plans are disrupted when he is kidnapped and finds himself locked inside the trunk of his own car.  Through ingenuity, Dr. Newman is able to escape but later ends up in the ICU where he undergoes brain surgery.  The police show up wanting to ask him questions but his doctor boots them out so his patient can begin his road to recovery.

Sandra Murray is enlisted to be Dr. Newman's defense attorney.  She was hesitant to take his case as she had just broken up with the neurosurgeon who performed Matt's surgery.  But she believes in Matt's innocence so she decides to take his case.

Within the covers of Stress Test the reader is taken on a non-stop, thrill packed adventure.  They also watch as Matt draws closer to God and learns that He is real and there when times are tough.  Because of the 'thrill-a-minute' ride that you will receive when you read this book, I cannot tell you anything more about the plot or it will spoil the whole journey.  I will say that you will be surprised over and over again.  Just when I thought I figured things out, Dr. Mabry took me in another direction.  So fasten your seat belts for a wild enjoyable ride!

If I were to say anything negative about this book it is the cover.  I don't like it at all.  No, not at all.  If I were to peruse a book shelf and saw this book would I pick it up?  If there was someone else's name on the book that I did not know, NO.  But, because I have read everything Dr. Mabry has had published to date, I chose to read it.  I also found it hard to connect with the two main characters until the end.  But I did finally connect and even if I hadn't the story itself was worth the ride.

Would I recommend this book?  You bet.  But because of some of the violence I would suggest it to adults and mature young adults who enjoy Christian Suspense.

On a 5-star scale - 4 1/2 Stars.

I would like to thank Litfuse Publishing and Thomas Nelson for my review copy.  I received my copy for free in order to read and give my honest review, which I have done.


Richard Mabry is celebrating the release of Stress Test with a Nook HD Giveaway! Enter today.





Stress-Test-giveaway300
One winner will receive:

  • A brand new Nook HD

  • A $15 gift certificate to BarnesandNoble.com

Enter today by clicking one of the icons below. But hurry, the giveaway ends on April 27th. Winner will be announced on 4/29/13 at Richard's blog.





Tell your friends via FACEBOOK or TWITTER and increase your chances of winning.




Publicity blurb about Stress Test:


They may not have enough evidence to convict him, but they have enough to ruin his life.




Dr. Matt Newman thought he was leaving his life in private practice for a better one in academic medicine. But the kidnappers who attacked him as he left his last shift in the ER have no such plans-they just want him dead. Bound and in the trunk of his car, Matt's only thought is escape. He does so, but at a price: a head injury that lands him in the ICU . . . where he awakens to discover he's being charged with murder.
Sandra Murray is a fiery, redheaded lawyer who swore she was done with doctors. But when Matt calls, she knows she can't walk away from defending someone who is truly innocent.
Matt's career is going down the drain. His freedom and perhaps his life may be next. But with the police convinced he's a murderer and the kidnappers still trying to finish what they started, finding the truth-and the faith to keep going-will be the toughest stress test Matt has ever endured.
Purchase a copy:  http://ow.ly/jJaEd

Meet Richard:
 A retired physician, Dr. Richard Mabry is the author of four critically acclaimed novels of medical suspense. His previous works have been finalists for the Carol Award and Romantic Times Reader's Choice Award, and have won the Selah Award. He is a past Vice-President of American Christian Fiction Writers and a member of the International Thriller Writers. He and his wife live in North Texas.

Learn more about Richard at: http://www.rmabry.com


To learn more about this book please go to this link:

http://litfusegroup.com/author/RMabry 

Smiles & Blessings,



1 comment:

  1. I think I've read one book by this author, and enjoyed it. I love mystereis! But, I'm with on the cover, it does not appeal to me at all. the story sounds intriguing though. I guess it's true, don't judge a book by its cover. (:

    ReplyDelete