Sunday, October 7, 2012

When a Heart Stops by Lynette Eason - a review

Lynette Eason's When a Heart Stops is the story of medical examiner, Serena Hopkins, and FBI agent, Dominic Allen.  In her youth, Serena had a crush on Dominic, the brother of her best friend.  When the story begins, they are brought back together when a serial killer starts killing off people from Serena's high school graduating class.

As Dominic and Serena begin reviewing the evidence they find the that the methods of this serial killer mimic that of the Doll Maker Killer, a serial killer who is sitting in prison.  Dominic and Serena fear they have a copycat killer on the loose.  However, by the end of the book an alarming realization lets the reader know that....oops! I almost gave you a spoiler which I try to never do.  

When a Heart Stops actually has to suspenseful story lines that the reader is made to believe are one and the same.  I must say I was disappointed by the way the book ended. I pretty much figured out who the serial killer was and I believe I figured out who the characters are who are involved in the second story line.  However, the second story line wasn't resolved.  That of course means I have to wait until the next book in the Deadly Reunions series is released.  I love it when an author writes a series of books with characters interacting throughout all the books, but I am not a big fan of cliffhangers.  I guess I need to learn patience.

I have read several of Ms. Eason's books and find that she has a way of creating believable characters that you want to root for and again there are those you really don't like.  The story, while plot driven, is facilitated well by the characters.  It was definitely a page turner.

I would highly recommend When a Heart Stops for anyone who loves good Christian Suspense. However, if you are like me, and dislike cliffhangers, you might want to wait until the next book in the series is released.

On a 5-Star scale - 4 1/2 Stars!!!!

I would like to thank Donna Hausler and Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group, for my review copy of When a Heart Stops. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.

**** Available October 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group****


Smiles & Blessings,




1 comment:

  1. Hey, this looks like something I would enjoy. Never heard of this author. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete