Monday, May 14, 2012

The Pursuit of Lucy Banning - a review

I always enjoy reading books by debut novelists and I wasn't disappointed with Olivia Newport's debut novel.  The Pursuit of Lucy Banning.  The story is about Lucy Banning, the privileged daughter of a wealthy Chicago family during the 1890's.  Lucy befriends Charlotte, the new kitchen maid who is hiding a secret and Lucy has one of her own.

Lucy is expected to marry the son of her parent's best friends.  However, Lucy doesn't want to become just someone's wife.  She wants a life of her own doing what is near and dear to her heart.  Along the journey,she meets Will, a friend of her brother, and she finds herself falling in love with him, a man that her parents would not consider worthy enough for their daughter as he is beneath their economic and social status.

Ms. Newport opens up a world of Chicago high society and depicts what i must have been like for women, during that time, as they tried to break the economic and social standings they had to endure during that time period.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Pursuit of Lucy Banning and I look forward to reading Ms. Newport's sophomoric novel once it hits the shelves.

On a 5-star scale - 4 stars.

I would like to thank Donna Hausler, Revell, and Baker Publishing Group for my review copy.  I received my copy for free so that I could read it and give my honest review, which I have done.

*** Available May 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group ***


Smiles & Blessings,








No comments:

Post a Comment