Thursday, August 18, 2011

Learning by Karen Kingsbury - a review

Believe it or not, I just read my very first Karen Kingsbury book and you can be sure it won't be my last.  Ms. Kingsbury is a gifted author that utilizes her obviously God given gift to not only entertain her readers but to minister to them as well.


When I selected "Learning" to read for review I was hesitant to select a second book in a series when I hadn't read the first book.  Although I wish I could have read "Leaving" first, "Learning" has enough back story in it that you don't lose your way.


Learning is the story beyond Bailey and Cody.  In this story, Bailey is now in the Broadway cast of Hairspray in New York City.  Cody is working as a football coach at a small high school in Lyle, Indiana.  While they are no longer an 'item' their hearts are still connected emotionally.
  
In "Learning", Bailey experiences a growing friendship with Brandon Paul, a Hollywood actor and America's heart throb.  Cody has found a new 'friend' as well in Cheyenne, the fiancee of his friend who died in the Iraq war.  I found that I was rooting more for Bailey and Brandon as a couple then I was for Cody and Cheyenne.  I think it's because I never really felt I got to see a fully dimensional Cheyenne.  But if the truth be known, I really feel that Bailey and Cody belong together.  I'm hoping that in the next novel, "Longing" that maybe, just maybe, they will find their way back to each other.

What a ministry Ms. Kingsbury has in her works of fiction.  The characters and situations are so real that I truly believe she could be winning souls for Christ just by people reading her books.  I love the way she brings in Scripture throughout the book.  It's a little more than "subtle" but not overpowering.
  
Ms. Kingsbury has a way of drawing you into the story and stirring up every emotion possible.  I laughed and cried throughout the book and I enjoyed every last word.  I will definitely go back now and read "Leaving" as well as her other books.


I would like to thank Zondervan for supplying me with my review copy. It was offered to me for free in order to read and give my honest review, which I have done.


On a five star scale. . . 5 stars


Smiles & Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment