Saturday, December 5, 2015

The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson

I have always been a fan of fairy tales and Melanie Dickerson has a wonderful gift of retelling fairy tales. In The Golden Braid, Ms. Dickerson gives us the retelling of the story of Rapunzel and she does it remarkably well.

When the story begins, almost nineteen year old Rapunzel is living with her mother Gothel in the village of Ottelfelt in the Holy Roman Empire. But a young man proposes to Rapunzel and while she tells him "no", her mother decides they must move once again to the larger city of Hagenheim. Rapunzel gets excited as her dream is to learn how to read and she feels she may be able to learn in a larger city.

Their journey becomes treacherous and Rapunzel finds herself being rescued by Sir Gerek, a knight. Later down the road Sir Gerek finds himself being rescued by Rapunzel. He promises to repay her by teaching her to read.

As the story progresses, Rapunzel discovers a mystery surrounding her life that could possibly change it forever. Ms. Dickerson has created a wonderful world to place Rapunzel in and weave aspects of the original fairy tale. I truly enjoyed this retelling.

If you love historical romances set during the Medieval time period, or retelling of fairy tales, or just enjoy a good clean read I would suggest you pick up a copy of The Golden Braid. While it is listed as a book for young adults, I believe adults will enjoy it just as much.

On a 5-Star Scale -  4 1/2 Stars!

I would like to thank Litfuse Publishing Group and Thomas Nelson for my copy of The Golden Braid. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment