Saturday, April 18, 2015

A Sparrow in Terezin by Kristy Cambron

As an avid fan of World War II historical fiction, I took a leap of faith in reading Kristy Cambron's debut novel, The Butterfly and the Violin (read my review here.). The characters were so real to me that they have stayed with me since I finished the book last July. Needless to say, I was very anxious for Ms. Cambron's sophomore release to come out. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. Her second book, A Sparrow in Terezin continues the story of William Hanover and Sera James from the first book. In fact it begins with their wedding day.

As in The Butterfly and the Violin, Miss Cambron takes the reader on a journey in modern day and another journey set during World War II. The reader may begin to wonder what one story has to do with the other but this masterpiece is woven together so well that the reader's questions are answered about midway through.

While both story lines are strong on their own, my favorite was Kaja Makovsky's story. Kaja is a young women who is half Jewish and because of her Jewish heritage, her parents force her to flee Prague with her sister and brother-in-law just as the Nazi's are beginning to invade. We soon catch up with her five years later where she is living in London during the Blitz. It is here where she meets Liam Marshall, a journalist at the newspaper she works at. Their relationship starts off slow but in time. Well, we can't give out spoilers now can we?

Ms. Cambron has the ability to masterfully craft a scene that takes the reader right into the heart of the story. Then her characters introduce themselves and you know it's real. It just has to be real. Doesn't it? The reader is pulled into a story that is so real, so well researched that it is hard to believe that the creation only lives inside the mind of this wonderful new author. I am just so thankful that I discovered her as a new voice.

Both the contemporary and historical parts of this book are about love, faith, trust, hope and courage when faced with difficult circumstances. They will both take the reader on an emotional journey in which you may shed a few tears. I know I did.

I would highly recommend A Sparrow in Terezin to anyone who enjoys a good emotional read. While you don't need to read the two books in order I would highly recommend it.

On a 5-Star scale - 5 HUGE Stars!!!!!

I would like to thank Lituse Publicity for my copy of A Sparrow in Terezin. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.


Smiles & Blessings,



No comments:

Post a Comment