Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Lightkeeper's Bride by Colleen Coble - a Review

I have been an avid reader pretty much my entire life.  But ten years ago, I got married at the ripe old age of 48 for the first time.  It was also my husband's first marriage & he was 50.  We had known each other in high school in California and well, that's another story all in itself...it would actually make a great storyline for a novel.  But that's not what this post is about.  When I got married, for whatever reason I stopped reading.  I stopped until one wonderful day when I was listening to our local Christian Radio Station, WBCL in Ft. Wayne, IN.  At 9am every weekday morning, the Mid-Morning team discusses books and usually have in studio or telephone interviews with Christian authors.  The particular morning that turned me back to reading, the guest was Christain Romantic Suspense author, Colleen Coble.

I was so intrigued by her interview that I stopped by the library on my way home from work and checked out Without a Trace and Beyond a Doubt.  I devoured both books and went back for more, and more until I had read everything they had by Ms. Coble.  I have since bought my own copies of many of her books.

Have you ever encountered an author that you just couldn't wait until their new novel hit the shelves?  Well, Colleen Coble is that author for me.  I just finished reading The Lightkeeper's Bride and found that I couldn't put it down, which is the case with all of Ms. Coble's books. 

Blurb from the back of The Lightkeeper's Bride:

When Katie answers the call of duty, she awakens the call of her heart.


Katie Russell loves working as a telephone operator in Mercy Falls, California. But since childhood she has been expected to marry well. Her family presses for an engagement to wealthy bachelor Barholomew Foster and though he doesn't stir her heart, their engagement promises a secure financial future.


Working the phone lines one evening, Katie overhears a chilling exchange between her friend Eliza and a familiar male voice. Katie soon learns that Eliza has disappeared, and the crime may be linked to another investigation by handsome new lighthouse keeper, Will Jesperson.  Katie and Will soon form an alliance. An alliance that slowly blossoms into something more.


Despite the danger surrounding her, Katie is powerfully drawn to Will. But she in not at liberty to marry for love. And though society forbids their growing affection. Katie can't help but notice Will's sense of peace. It's a peace that rests on his trust in God - a trust that Katie has never had to depend on, with her future so clearly mapped out before her.


But the more Katie uncovers of the mystery, the more she discovers about herself, her past, and the brilliant future that could be hers if only she has the courage to trust in God and follow where her heart so fearlessly leads.

From the opening sentence to the turn of the last page, I was held captive.  I always know when I read a Colleen Coble novel that I will be entertained throughout the book. I have never been disappointed.  I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.  It is good clean fun and there is a nice thread of God's love shown throughout the book. 

The Lightkeeper's Bride is the second book in the Mercy Falls series.  The first in the series was The Lightkeeper's Daughter and it too was an awesome read.  I can hardly wait to read her next in the series, The Lightkeeper's Ball.

If you love good Christian Romantic Suspense I would suggest you introduce yourself to Colleen Coble's work.

Have a wonderful day!


Smiles & Blessings,
Cindy

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Cindy, I know just what you mean! Liz Curtis Higgs is like that for me. I haven't been able to purchase her latest, Mine is the Night, and I'm beside myself :) I'll have to find a copy of one of Coble's novels. They look great.

    ReplyDelete