Tuesday, February 14, 2023

The Light of Sound by Sarah Sundin

In my opinion, Sarah Sundin is one of the greatest novelists of WWII fiction. Her newest novel, The Sound of Light just released on 02/07/2023 and it is a sure winner!

Set in Denmark in the early 1940s, we follow the lives of Dr. Elsebeth Jensen (Else for short) an American physicist working in Copenhagen, and Baron Henrik Ahlefeldt an aristocrat who has taken on an alias of Hemming Andersen so he can aid in the Danish resistance against the Germans. Both end up working for the resistance.

I found the book a little slow for me in the beginning but it picked up its pace and I found I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I think part of the reason I found it slow is that Ms. Sundin used Danish words throughout and in the beginning, I flipped to the back of the book to find the pronunciation and meaning of the foreign words. In time I didn't need to do that so the journey through the pages picked up. I do appreciate the glossary and pronunciation guides Ms. Sundin included. I have read some books where a glossary wasn't provided and I had to look up the words for their meanings on the internet.

Ms. Sundin's characters were well-developed and multi-layered which brought them true to life on the page. I found myself glued to the edge of my seat at times and I loved watching the relationship between Else and Hemming grow.

If you are a fan of historical fiction and especially books set during the WWII period I would highly recommend picking up a copy of The Sound of Light.

I give this book 5 Stars!

I would like to thank Revell Books, for my copy of The Sound of Light. I received my copy for free with no expectation of a positive or negative review.  The opinions are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR. Part 255.

Smiles & Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment