Saturday, June 4, 2016

Anchor in the Storm by Sarah Sundin

One of my very favorite authors is Sarah Sundin. She writes wonderful historical military fiction and I have loved every book she has written. Her current book is Anchor in the Storm which is the second book in her "Waves of Freedom" series. While it can be read as a stand-alone book, I would recommend picking up the first book in the series, Through Waters Deep (read my review here) as it will introduce you to several of the characters you will find in Anchor in the Storm.

This book is set in Boston during WWII and it is the story of pharmacist Lillian Avery and Ensign Archer Vandenberg. Lillian's brother helps her secure a job at a drug store in Boston but she finds early on that being a woman pharmacist causes people to not trust her. Arch is Lillian's brother's best friend and he tries to befriend Lillian but she keeps him at arms length because of an injury she had as a child causing her to lose her one leg.

Lillian believes no man will want her because she's an amputee and Arch is wary of women because he thinks they all want him for his family's money. These two characters have a lot of issues that they need to work through. The major one is trust. Will they be able to see beyond past hurts to find happiness during this difficult time when the nation is at war?

I must admit, I didn't like the character of Arch very much in the first book of the series. I thought he was a rich kid and stuck up, however, as Ms. Sundin removed layers from Arch I found myself loving his character. Lillian's character won me over from the start. Ms. Sundin is an expert at creating characters that grab the readers heart and doesn't let go. Her settings are also well delivered in a 'show' not 'tell' manner. 

If you are a fan of historical fiction (with suspense mixed in) or a fan of Sarah Sundin, I would highly recommend picking up a copy of Anchor in the Storm. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. 

On a 5-Star scale - 5 HUGE Stars!!!!!

I would like to thank LitFuse Publicity and Revell for my copy of Anchor in the Storm. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review.

Smiles & Blessings,
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review, Cindy! I'm glad you enjoyed Arch & Lillian's story!

    ReplyDelete