Friday, August 23, 2013

Into the Whirlwind by Elizabeth Camden - A Must Read!!!

When choosing a book to read and review I first look at the author's name, then the cover art and I then read the 'blurb' on the back. If one of those doesn't draw me in then I usually pass on the book. When given the opportunity to read and review Into the Whirlwind I was drawn in by all but the author's name. Yes, you guessed it, Elizabeth Camden is a new author to me but with her newest novel, Into the Whirlwind she captured me a new fan. By the way, I love the cover art!!

Into the Whirlwind takes place in Chicago in 1871 during the Great Chicago Fire.  It obviously was an event in history that was extremely devastating for the people of Chicago. Ms. Camden created such an image in my mind that I almost felt I was there on the street of Chicago as the city burned. I felt the heat, smelled the smoke and fought off the drifting embers.

This is the story of Mollie Knox, the owner of the 57th Illinois Watch Company. I fell in love with this character from the very beginning. She has spunk and a driving force within her that kept her from giving in to the perils that surrounded her. During the course of the story, she has two men vying for her affections. Zack Kazmarek, an attorney who has influential ties in the city and beyond, and Colonel Richard Lowe, a former officer in the Civil War. One of these characters I grew to love the other I grew to really dislike, I'm glad Mollie chose the one I liked. Which is which?  You'll have to read the book to find out who wins the heart of Miss Mollie.

This story is about compassion, determination and love with a little misunderstanding and forgiveness blended in. The faith thread was masterfully woven within the pages and wasn't overpowering.  All in all, this was an excellent book that I would highly recommend to anyone who loves to read good clean historical fiction. I felt I learned a lot about the Great Chicago Fire and what it must have been like to have lived through that devastating night and the months of rebuilding the city.

On a Five-Star scale - 5 BIG Stars!!!!!

I would like to thank Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group for my review copy.  I received my copy for free so that I could read it and give my honest review, which I have done.


Smiles & Blessings,








No comments:

Post a Comment