Monday, September 22, 2014

The Stress Cure by Linda Evans Shepherd

Unfortunately, I, like many other people in the world, have a tendency to suffer from stress. So when I had an opportunity to read Linda Evans Shepherd's book, The Stress Cure, Praying Your Way to Personal Peace. I couldn't resist. I must say this book was quite insightful.

Ms. Shepherd makes the point that many people love to offer advice to those who suffer from stress. Anything from eating right and sleeping more. She lets the reader know that what the person suffering from stress needs is a cure and that cure is prayer.

In The Stress Cure, Ms. Shepherd reveals to the reader how to recognize the presence of God in our lives and how we should release our stress to Him. She breaks the book up into twelve chapters that cover being overwhelmed, stuck frustrated, burdened, hopeless, offended, anxious, negative, distracted, and depressed. I loved the way she ends each chapter with the same subtitles, 'Shine the Light of the Word, Yielding Prayer for the (chapter title), Shine the Light, Yield, Forgive, Give It All to God, Pray for Healing, Exchange the Enemy's Work for God's Peace and Praise God - You Are Free!'. Because of the way the chapters are geared towards a certain topic of stress, you can go directly to the area you need the most help and read and re-read that particular chapter. 

There are many stories throughout the pages which helps keep the readers interest. She even references a scene with Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark in the book. She also takes passages and sets them in blocks withing the pages bringing those thoughts to the attention of the reader. I think one of my favorites was found on page 128 and says, "When we look to Jesus, instead of concentrating on our worries and fears, Jesus will give us His peace as our worries and fears fade away".

I would highly suggest this book to anyone who suffers from stress. 

On a 5-Star Scale - 4 Stars. ****

I would like to thank Revell, a division of Baker Publishing for my copy of The Stress Cure. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.

Smiles & Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment