Saturday, September 20, 2014

Before Amen by Max Lucado


Max Lucado's newest book, Before Amen, The Power of a Simple Prayer,  is a "how to" book about prayer. For anyone who has ever wondered how to approach God in prayer or just simply how to pray, this book is for you.

The book is small consisting of nine simple to read chapters.

  1. The Pocket Prayer
  2. Father...Daddy
  3. You Are Good
  4. I Need Help
  5. Heal Me
  6. Forgive Me
  7. They Need Help
  8. Thank You
  9. In Jesus' Name, Amen
I loved the way Mr. Lucado started chapter one, "Hello my name is Max. I'm a recovering prayer wimp. I doze off when I pray. My thoughts zig, then zag, then zig again." I could have made that same statement entering 'Cindy' for Max. Let's be honest, I'm sure some of you out there start prying at bedtime and the next thing you know you are waking up and never said 'amen'. Or you're in church and the pastor is leading prayer and your mind zig's to what to fix for lunch or where you plan to go after church. I'm sure most of us have been there before. If you find this to be true for yourself, this book is for you.

Mr. Lucado shares about the different types of prayer and how we should pray during the times that are the hardest. In the first chapter, he shares with the reader his "Pocket-size Prayer". This prayer is easy to remember and should help the person who feels they don't know how to pray get started.

So many times I have heard people say, 'I don't know how to pray'. Believe me there are many people in the world that feel that way. Mr. Lucado explains, "God will teach you to pray." He also goes on to tell the reader, "Prayer is simply a heartfelt conversation between God and his child". 

I enjoy Max Lucado's writing. It is simple for the reader to understand. In fact, it's like he is sitting across the room talking with you. His explanations are clear and easily understood.

I would highly recommend Before Amen to anyone who wants a clear picture of praying. I truly enjoyed this book.

On a 5-Star scale - *****

I would like to thank Litfuse Publicity and Thomas Nelson Publishers for my advanced reader's copy of Before Amen. I received my copy for free in order to read it and give my honest review, which I have done.


Smiles & Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment